Development & Planning Department Service Delivery Update

Please see our new procedures and how you can contact us on our service delivery update page.

You may need to submit a development application (e.g. rezoning, development permit, subdivision) prior to applying for a building permit. We'll let you know which, if any, development applications are required before you apply for your building permit.

Below you'll find a list of development applications you may need.

We recommend you apply for a pre-application review to ensure the development application process goes smoothly. We'll help you through the process and make sure you have everything you need. 
 Official Community Plan amendment 

If you want to build on or use a property in ways that don't align with the policies in our Official Community Plan, you may need to apply for an OCP amendment to be considered by Council.

If you want to build on or use a property in ways that differ significantly from what the current zoning allows, you may need to apply to have the property rezoned. Learn how you can apply to rezone your property or apply for a Zoning Bylaw text amendment, which amends a requirement or regulation affecting a particular zone.
 Heritage revitalization agreement 

A heritage revitalization agreement (HRA) is a formal, voluntary, written agreement that allows the City to provide incentives above and beyond the standard zoning for such a form of development (such as additional density, reduced setbacks, etc.) which would make it viable for the owners to conserve a property that has heritage significance. An HRA is a form of long-term protection which is registered on title of the property.

Learn about heritage revitalization agreements, how to apply, and ways that you can offset the cost of maintaining your heritage property.

Subdivision is the process of altering legal property boundaries. A subdivision of land can create two or more lots out of one lot, adjust an existing property (lot) line, or consolidate two or more lots into one.
 Development permit 
The Official Community Plan identifies a number of development permit areas in the City where development is permitted through the approval of a development permit. In Port Moody, these include: environmentally sensitive areas, hazardous lands, heritage conservation, and laneway houses (Detached Accessory Dwelling Units). 
Heritage alteration permit

If you own property in one of the two heritage conservation areas in Port Moody, you may need to apply for a heritage alteration permit to make certain changes to your property.

 Development variance permit 
Development variance permits are authorized by City Council to allow variances to certain requirements of the City’s Zoning Bylaw, Sign Bylaw, or Subdivision and Development Servicing Bylaw. Learn about the requirements for a development variance permit and how you can apply.
 Board of Variance 
The Board of Variance (BoV), an independent panel appointed by Council, can grant minor variances on situations where complying with the Zoning Bylaw on the siting, dimensions, or size of a building or structure causes a person undue hardship. 
 Temporary use permit 
 A temporary use permit (TUP), issued by Council, allows a land use that is not permitted in the current zoning of a property for a limited period of time. A TUP has a maximum term of three years and can be renewed once by Council for an additional three years. 
 Tree removal permit
The City's Tree Protection Bylaw provides policies for tree removal and outlines when you need a tree removal permit.
 Sign permit
Installing a permanent sign? Submit a completed sign permit application to the Planning department. If you're not the property owner, make sure to include their authorization.

Costs and fees

An important part of any potential application is the consideration of the associated costs and fees. These may include application fees, development cost charges, school site acquisition charges, and community amenity contributions or bonus density contributions. 

Planning and development resources

Current development applications

Explore current development applications at various stages of the review process. These include Official Community Plan amendments, Zoning Bylaw amendments, and subdivision applications.