The Local Government Act (Part 18, divisions 1 and 2) regulates claims for damages against municipalities in B.C.

Under Section 744 of the Local Government Act, a municipality is not responsible for property damage due to the breakdown or malfunction of a sewer system, water system, or road. For a municipality to be held responsible, it must be found negligent in its maintenance of the system or road in question.

 Steps to take if your property has been damaged or in the event of bodily injury
If your property or vehicle has been damaged, follow these two steps:

Step 1: Be sure to document any damage.

If you believe the City is responsible for damage to your property or vehicle, make sure you document the damage right away:

  • take pictures of the damage
  • write down the date and time when the damage occurred
  • write down exactly what happened

Step 2: Contact your insurance provider.

Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible. They will review the damage and determine whether your insurance policy will cover a claim. If you’re covered, your insurance provider will help you submit a claim under your property or vehicle policy.

Step 3: If you have suffered a bodily injury

  1. Seek health and medical assistance
  2. Remember to save copies of any out of pocket expenses including receipts or invoices. 
 Damage from potholes and road hazards
If you see a pothole or other road hazard, please let us know so we can plan for repairs. Contact Operations Customer Service at for response during normal business hours or call 604-469-4574 (monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

As noted above, the City is not liable for damage caused to your vehicle by potholes or road hazards – this means the City will not pay for any damages or repairs. Contact your personal auto insurance provider to seek coverage for vehicle damage.

 How to make a claim
If you wish to make a claim, you must provide written notice to the City within two months from the date the damage occurred.

You can submit a claim onlinevia email or mail it to:

Manager of Corporate Purchasing & Risk Management
City of Port Moody
100 Newport Drive
Port Moody, BC
V3H 5C3

Be sure to include the following information with your claim for damages:

  • a description of the property that was damaged
  • how your property was damaged
  • the location where your property was damaged
  • the date and time when the damage occurred
  • photographs of the damage to your property
  • photographs of the surrounding area (if applicable)
  • how you believe the City was responsible for the damage
  • the name and identification of all parties involved
  • your name, address, and all contact numbers
  • any other information you feel is important
 Property claim investigation
When we receive a claim for damage, we conduct an investigation to determine if the City was responsible for the damage. We also contact our liability insurers, the Municipal Insurance Association of British Columbia (MIABC), and their claims adjusters. When a decision has been made regarding your claim, either the City or the MIABC will contact you directly.