Important notice: Changes to processes and procedures for City permits and inspections

Please read this notice - it contains important information regarding changes to processes and procedures for the City of Port Moody’s Building Division during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Permit requirements

If you're building a new home, renovating your current home, or adding a structure to your property, you need to apply for a building permit. All building and home renovations in Port Moody are regulated by the City's Zoning Bylaw. Before you begin your next project, we recommend you review our Good Neighbour Guidelines, building guides and bulletins, Energy Step Code requirements, and Fees Bylaw.

New construction

You'll need a building permit for any new development or building renovations. Take the following steps to get your permit: 

Please submit building permit application and all other supporting documents to

Application checklists


If you want to completely remove any type of building or structure, you'll need a demolition permit. Review our demolition permit process and then fill out a demolition permit application.

Accompanying forms

Depending on your project, you may need to complete and submit some of the following forms along with your building permit application:

Plumbing permit applications

The five types of applications listed below must be submitted in person to 100 Newport Drive. You are not required to book an appointment for these permits.

All plumbing permits are regulated by the City's Building and Plumbing Code Administration Bylaw.

Hydronic heating permit

Fill out the Hydronic Heating Permit Application if you are installing hydronic heating. You must also submit sealed calculations with your application.

Plumbing Permit Application

Complete a Plumbing Permit Application for any new plumbing hook up, including but not limited to:

  • water closets
  • wash basins
  • bath tubs
  • showers
  • sinks
  • wash tubs
  • floor drains
  • urinals

Plumbing service permit application

Fill out a Plumbing Service Permit Application if you require plumbing services for:

  • sanitary sewer
  • storm sewer
  • domestic water
  • backflow preventers
  • sumps

If you are installing the fixtures and piping for your plumbing without hiring a contractor and do not live in a Strata, you need to fill out a Home Owner Plumbing Permit Application Declaration.

Sprinkler permit application

Complete a Sprinkler Permit Application if you are installing a fire protection sprinkler system in your home.

Booking an inspection

Learn about inspections that are required for standard building projects. To book an inspection, go to