Steak on the grill


Grilling Safety


There’s nothing like outdoor grilling. It’s one of the most popular ways to cook food. But, a grill placed too close to anything that can burn is a fire hazard. They can be very hot, causing burn injuries. Follow these simple tips and you will be on the way to safe grilling.

Safety Tips

  • Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
  • The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
  • Never leave your grill unattended.
  • Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it

Charcoal Grills

  • There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
  • If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
  • Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
  • When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.

Propane Grills

  • Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off both the gas tank and the grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
  • If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
  • If the flame goes out, turn the grill and gas off and wait at least 5 minutes before re-lighting it.

July is the peak month for grill fires.

Roughly half of the injuries involving grills are thermal burns.

Hotel Room with 2 Beds

 Hotel & Motel Safety 

Vacations and business travel make hotels and motels our home away from home.  It is just as important to be prepared and know what you would do in a hotel/motel emergency as it is in your own home.

Be Safe When Travelling

  • Choose a hotel/motel that is protected by both smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system.
  • When you check in, ask the front desk what the fire alarm sounds like.
  • When you enter your room, review the escape plan posted in your room.
  • Take the time to find the exits and count the number of doors between your room and the exit.  Make sure the exits are unlocked.  If they are locked, report it to management right away.
  • Keep your room key by your bed and take it with you if there is a fire.
  • If the alarm sounds, leave right away, closing all doors behind you.  Use the stairs - never use elevators during a fire.
  • If you must escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your exit.  

If you can't escape.....

SHUT off fans and air conditioners.


STUFF wet towels in the crack around the doors.


CALL 9-1-1 and let them know your location.


WAIT at the window and signal with a flashlight or light coloured clothing.

On average, one of every 13 hotels or motels reported a structure fire each year. 

The majority of hotel fire deaths result from fires that started in the bedroom.

Cooking equipment is the leading cause of hotel/motel fires. 

Picture of RV in Sunset

Motor home, Camper and RV Vehicle Safety

Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles are used for living and travelling.  Each year, fires in them cause deaths, injuries, and millions of dollars in damages.  Fires can start in the kitchen.  They can start in the engine area.  Sometimes the fires are electrical.  With a few simple safety tips you can help prevent these fires from happening.


Safety Tips

  • Install smoke alarms.  Make sure they work.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you cook.  Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stovetop.
  • Only use one heat-producing appliance plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time.  Major appliances should be plugged directly in a wall receptacle outlet.
  • Refrigerators, furnaces, ovens and stovetops use propane.  Check them for leaks.  Keep an updated gas leak detector on board.
  • Have your propane system inspected to make sure it still works properly.
  • Know two ways out.  Make sure windows open easily.   
  • Have everyone practice the home fire escape plan. 
  • Do not keep camping heaters and lanterns on while sleeping.
  • Before setting up a campfire, make sure it is allowed.  
  • If campfires are allowed, they need to be least 25 feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Have your vehicle serviced by a qualified mechanic.
  • Keep a portable fire extinguisher on board.  Only adults who know how to operate it should use it.  Only use it if the fire is small and can be contained.  Make sure everyone else is leaving.  Make sure someone is calling 9-1-1-. 

Carbon Monoxide Awareness

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas.  You cannot see it.  You cannot taste it.  You cannot smell it.  CO poisoning can result from leaks in the exhaust.  It can happen because of improper use of appliances.  Sometimes CO comes from another vehicle.  Make sure you have a working CO alarm.


When the vehicle is used as a structure, the most common area for these fires to start is the kitchen or cooking area.  This is followed by the engine area, running gear, or wheel area.  Check for safety inside and outside of the vehicle.