The City of Port Moody is committed to environmental sustainability. As a resident, you must consult the City's Tree Protection Bylaw before removing a tree from your property. The Bylaw provides policies for tree removal and outlines when you need a tree removal permit.

Get a tree removal permit

If you require a tree removal permit, you need to:

  1. complete a tree removal application form
  2. attach any necessary documents as requested in the Tree Protection Bylaw (listed on the back of the tree removal application form)
  3. email us your completed application
  4. pay the required fees and or deposits

As part of your permit, you may be required to replace each tree that is being removed with two new trees. You would also be required to pay a refundable deposit for each tree that is being planted.

Do I need a tree removal permit?

Based on the Tree Protection Bylaw, you are required to get a tree removal permit if:

  • the building you live in is part of a strata (condominium, apartment, townhouse, row house or duplex) and would like to remove a tree
  • your property has a covenant registered on the Certificate of Title (from the Land Title Office) that relates to trees and/or landscaping
  • your property is located in an Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA) and/or Streamside Protection and Enhancement Area (SPEA) (To view a map, please turn on the ESA & Watercourse layer on Viewport)
  • you would like to remove trees on a property for commercial, industrial, single family or multi-family redevelopment

You don't need a tree removal permit if you:

  • would like to prune branches encroaching from a City owned tree or greenbelt. This pruning would be considered low impact, not detrimental to the tree or the ecology of the area and not located in an ESA or SPEA
  • want to prune trees on your property and you are not located in an ESA or SPEA
  • are located in a residential area that is not an ESA or SPEA (To view a map, please turn on the ESA & Watercourse layer on Viewport)

If your property is located in an ESA or SPEA, you will need to get authorization, to prune overhanging branches, remove dead trees, or prune trees on your property.

Tree removal during nesting season

If you are removing a tree anytime between March 1 and August 31, you may need to have a nesting survey done by a Qualified Environmental Professional (QEP) in order to get a tree removal permit. The QEP will survey the tree and surrounding area for any active nests. This is to ensure the protection of wildlife within Port Moody.

Tree Protection Bylaw and Schedules

Please carefully review the Tree Protection Bylaw and the following schedules before removing a tree from your property:

For trees located on City Property please contact Operations. For Trees located on private property please contact Planning and Development.