A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) may allow for temporary commercial and industrial uses on a property that would not be currently permitted by the Zoning Bylaw. Council may issue a TUP for a period of up to three years and may renew it once for an additional three years.

Apply for a temporary use permit

Prior to submitting a temporary use permit application, we recommend that you consult with City planning staff by emailing planning@portmoody.ca or phoning 604-469-4540 to make sure that you have all of the necessary paperwork. This will help you save time during the application process.

  1. Review the Development Application Submission Requirements Checklist (PDF).
  2. Visit Submit a Development Application for detailed application information and to submit your application online.

Application review

Once we receive your application, it will be reviewed by internal city departments and external agencies as necessary. As part of this process we may request additional information or revisions to the proposal. Once the plans are finalized, staff will prepare a report for Council consideration.

Prior to Council consideration, a notification sign will be installed on the property, and a notice will be placed in the newspaper and mailed to owners and residents around the property. This notification process allows for public input on your application.

Council may either approve the permit, request additional information, or reject the temporary use permit. In most cases it can take two to four months for a temporary use permit to be approved.