Port Moody's Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan (OCP) regulate land use and density. Every property in the City has a legal zoning classification that specifies the types of uses or activities that can take place. If you want to make changes to your property that don't align with land uses permitted under the zoning bylaw or OCP, you will need to apply for an amendment to be considered by Council.

OCP Amendment

The OCP describes the long-term vision for the City. It is reviewed approximately every ten years, but small minor changes, or amendments, can be made in between reviews. An example of a development project that could require an amendment to the OCP would be if a property was designated for multi-family use but the owner wanted to build a mixed-use (commercial/residential) development on it. In cases were an OCP amendment is required as part of your rezoning, both applications can be made on the same development application form.

Submit a rezoning application

If a property owner wants to build on or use a property in ways that differ significantly from what the current zoning allows, they would need to apply to have the property rezoned.  Prior to submitting an application, you will need to take part in a pre-application review with the City. This will help ensure that you have all of the proper paperwork prior to submitting your application. To apply for a rezoning, you need to make an appointment to submit your application at the Planning and Development front counter located in City Hall at 100 Newport Dr. The application submission should include:

  • Completed rezoning application
  • Application fee
  • Certificate of Title dated no more than 30 days prior to the application
  • Letter of Intent that outlines the current use, proposed use, and justification for the proposal
  • Site profile, if required by the Environmental Management Act, Contaminated Sites Regulations, Schedule 2
  • report and plan detailing the proposal and demonstrating its feasibility and assessing its impact
  • Site Survey, prepared by a licensed BC Land Surveyor
  • Arborist's Preliminary Site Assessment
  • detailed Site Plan
  • Site Servicing Plan prepared by a professional engineer
  • elevation drawings showing all building sides, dimensions, grades, exterior finish details and signage
  • colour perspective drawing illustrating the building form and streetscape
  • a three-dimensional model (digital or physical)
  • Landscape Plan, prepared by a Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect
  • colour photographs of the current site
  • material samples showing the proposed exterior finish colours
  • Sustainability Report Card
  • Letter from a Registered Professional or Certified Energy Advisor, confirming that the project has been designed to achieve the chosen pathway outlined in the BC Energy Step Code Rezoning Application Corporate Policy

As part of the application review process you will be required to hold one or more Community Information Meetings to inform the neighbourhood or community of your proposal as well as provide an opportunity for feedback on the proposal.

Application review

Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by a variety of internal departments, external agencies, community members, and Council for consideration of approval. You will be given an opportunity to revise your proposal based on feedback received throughout the process. This process can take between six and twenty-four months, though the timing may vary depending on a number of factors, including: complexity of the proposal, quality of submissions, application volume etc.