In Port Moody, a Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit (DADU) is the Zoning Bylaw definition of a laneway home. Laneway homes are smaller and located in the backyard of a single family home near the lane or back alley. 


To be eligible to add a laneway home, your property must:

  • have secondary access to the rear of the lot from a street or laneway, which must be six metres wide and paved to ensure emergency vehicle access, and;  
  • be located in an RS or RT zone as defined in the Zoning Bylaw.

Additional conditions may apply that can affect where a laneway house is permitted. Review section 5.5 of the Zoning Bylaw for a full list of laneway home requirements.

If your property is eligible, we advise you to first consult with a qualified professional to ensure that the requirements of the Zoning Bylaw and Development Permit Area 7 guidelines in the City’s Official Community Plan (OCP) can be met.

Prior to submitting a development permit application, we recommend that you consult with City planning staff to discuss the overall feasibility of the project.

Design and development guidelines

Read our Guide to Laneway Homes in Port Moody (PDF) for an overview of the application process and a complete list of design guidelines. These guidelines refer to privacy, orientation, overlook, architectural design, outdoor space, and landscaping. All laneway homes must have one parking space on-site for the tenant. Your laneway home must be:

  • a maximum total floor area of 90 m²
  • a maximum permitted lot coverage of 65 m²
  • a maximum one-storey height of 4.57 m or two-storey height of 6.71 m
  • located in the rear yard
  • sited as an accessory building, according to the applicable zone
  • setback at least 6 m from the principal building
  • setback at least 1.5 m from the rear property line

Apply for a minor development permit

See Development Permits to learn more about submitting a minor development permit application. Along with your application and fee, you'll need to provide the necessary plans and documents as indicated on the application form to make sure your development meets all of the guidelines and requirements.

After your minor development permit is approved you can apply for a building permit to begin construction.