Create a laneway home (also known as a Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit) at the back of your property. You can turn this into a rental opportunity, or create a private space for senior or young-adult family members. Learn about the development guidelines and permit application process for laneway homes.

Design and development guidelines

Review our detailed laneway home guide for an overview of the application process and a complete list of design guidelines. These guidelines refer to privacy, orientation, overlook, architectural design, outdoor space, and landscaping. All laneway homes must have one parking space on-site for the tenant. Your laneway home must be:

  • a maximum total floor area of 90m²
  • a maximum permitted lot coverage of 65m²
  • a maximum one-storey height of 4.57m or two-storey height of 6.71m
  • located in the rear yard
  • sited as an accessory building, according to the applicable zone
  • setback at least 6m from the principal building
  • setback at least 1.5m from the rear property line

Apply for a minor development permit

Submit a minor development permit application to the Planning and Development Department located on the second floor of City Hall at 100 Newport Drive. Along with your application and fee, you'll need to provide the necessary plans and documents as indicated on the application form to make sure your development meets all of the guidelines and requirements.

You'll need a minor development permit before you can apply for a building permit or begin construction.


To be eligible to add a laneway home to your property, you need to have secondary access to the rear of your lot from a street or laneway. Your property must be located in an RS or RT zone as defined in the Zoning Bylaw.

Additional conditions may apply which can affect where a laneway house is permitted. Review section 5.5 of the Zoning Bylaw for a full list of laneway home requirements.