We are excited that you have selected Port Moody as the site of your new or returning event! We can help you through the event application process and even provide you with funding and marketing opportunities. Before you start planning, please review our Festival and Special Events HandbookSustainable Events Policy (and special event waste management planning tool), and Single-Use Plastics Bylaw to ensure that your event meets our guidelines.

Apply to host a festival or event

There are two separate event applications depending on whether or not you are hosting an event or festival for the first time, or if this is an existing event. We must receive your application at least three months prior to the requested event date.

New festival or event application

You need to complete an application for a new festival or special event if you are:

  • proposing a new event for Port Moody
  • a new organizer taking over an existing event
  • bringing a past event back to the city after taking a break
  • making significant changes to a returning event

On your application, you will need to provide a detailed explanation of the proposed event as well as information about the event coordinator and host organization. Please submit your completed application form by email to the Parks Events Assistant

Existing festival or event application

You need to complete an application for an existing festival or special event if your event took place last year and you have made no significant changes to the event.

You will need to provide contact information for the event organizer as well as a description of the event. Please submit your completed application form by email to the Parks Events Assistant

Event funding

We recognize the important role that special events play in a healthy and vibrant community. We offer two programs to provide financial assistance to event organizers. Review our Festival and Special Event Assistance Program and our Artist Grant Program to see if your event qualifies for funding.

Port Moody based groups can apply for a fee waiver if their event is being held in a City facility. Review the Fee Waiver Application Form to see if you qualify.

Marketing support

Interested in raising the profile of your event? Check out these advertising opportunities:

  • Promote your community event by adding it to the City's online Events Calendar.
  • Display your community event on the Newport Digital Sign located at the corner of Ioco Road and Newport Drive.
  • Display your community event on the three TVs located in the Civic Centre Galleria. Your event graphic should be a 16:9 powerpoint slide (ppt). Other acceptable formats for event graphics include jpg, jpeg or png. Email your graphic to Cultural Services.
  • Have a banner? Display it on the Moody Street Overpass by completing the Moody Street Overpass Banner Permit application.
  • Have outdoor event signs? Display them throughout the city by completing a Cultural Event Sign Permit Application. Not sure where you can install your signs? Be sure to check out the permitted cultural event sign locations prior to completely the application
  • Drop off up to 10 posters and/or 50 rack cards at City Hall reception (Attn: Cultural Services) to be displayed in the Civic Centre, Recreation Complex, and Kyle Centre.

The two Digital Billboards, located at the southside of Barnet Highway (near former Barnet Landfill) and Barnet Highway at Ioco Road (near Inlet Centre Station), are operated by Pattison Outdoor Advertising. Port Moody businesses, non-profits, and community groups receive a 20% discount on advertising.

Additional event permits and resources

Depending on the size, location, and type of event, you may need to apply for additional permits.

Building permits (tents & stages)

You will need a building permit If you are planning to set up a tent and/or stage at your event.

Food permits

If you are planning to serve food at your event, you should contact Fraser Health to find out what food permits you may need.

Gaming permits (raffles and gambling)

You will need a gambling and gaming permit in order to hold raffles or gambling games at your event.

Highway use permit

If your event disrupts the normal flow of pedestrian or vehicle movement or interferes with parking, sidewalks or bike path access you will need to complete a highway use permit application.

Liquor permits – special events

You will need a special event permit from the BC Liquor and Cannabis Licensing office if you want to serve liquor at your event.

Music licences

SOCAN ensures that you have the proper licence needed to play music in Canada and worldwide.

Technical Safety BC

If your event has rides or requires an electrical hook-up, you will need to review the guidelines of Technical Safety BC to make sure you follow all of their licences and regulations.

Port of Vancouver

Organized activities on the water within the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority's jurisdiction will require a marine event permit.

Waste management

View our special event waste management planning tool to help you manage garbage, recycling, and waste at your event. Our tool will help you meet our event sustainability requirements.