Imperial Oil is one of Canada’s largest corporations and a leading member of the country’s petroleum industry. The Imperial Oil plant located at 2225 Ioco Road is categorized as a gas distribution and production oil company.
At the turn of the 20th century, employment opportunities in Port Moody increased steadily thanks in part to oil refining. The British Columbia Refining Company Ltd was incorporated in 1908. One year later, the tanker Colonel E. L. Drake brought the first shipment of 25,000 barrels of crude oil from San Francisco to the refinery.
The Imperial Oil Company (Ioco) built in 1914 on the North shore of Burrard Inlet. However, crude oil wasn’t processed there until 1915 as the first tanker load of oil was captured by Germans in the Pacific. By 1919, the refinery processed 2,000 barrels of crude a day. After being rebuilt in 1952-53, the facility was able to process 25,000 barrels of crude each day. Most of the 240 men who worked at the plant originally commuted from Port Moody by ferry or walking along the rail spur. Soon a shanty town of employee grew around the site and in 1921 the company began building an adjacent town-site. This town eventually contained 83 houses, two stores, a school, two churches, a community hall, a post office, a bowling green and clubhouse, tennis courts and a sports field. This site served the plant workers, their families and the sailors aboard the tankers docked there. The town had a lively social life with regular dances and social gatherings. The refinery was shut down in 1995 and in 2002 the town-site was established as a Heritage Conservation area.
- Year Established:1958
- 50 acres
- 16 employees
- End-use bulk petroleum products: lubricants, asphalt, marine gas oil, intermediate and bunker fuels.
- Marine bulk movement products: Marine gas oil, diesel flux, intermediate fuels and bunker fuels.
- The terminal loads barges with intermediate fuel oil in volume lots ranging 500 to 3,500 tonnes.
- Terminal is typically supplied by rail car from Edmonton.
- Marine gas oil and diesel flux are supplied by barge in full load quantities from Petro Canada’s Burrard Terminal. The terminal is also supplied by imported bunker via barge.
- Total taxes levied in 2011: $1,401,317.73
- Primary Contact
Brian Smith, Terminal Manager