The Port Moody Station Museum is owned and operated by the Port Moody Heritage Society and is part of their effort to promote increased awareness and knowledge of Port Moody's heritage and history. Exhibitions at the museum include the historic Port Moody Station, community displays and the Venosta, a restored 1920s railcar.
Construction of the Port Moody Station, began in 1907 and was finished in 1908 and was the second railway station built in the area. In 1945, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) decided to move the station closer to town. Their employees lifted the station off its foundation, placed it directly onto greased railway tracks and used an engine to pull it to its second location at the foot of Queen St.
The station was officially closed on September 25, 1976, when the CPR discontinued their passenger service.
The Port Moody Historical Society (now the Port Moody Heritage Society), who were operating a museum on Kyle St., bought the station. In 1978, it was moved to its present location on Murray St. and refurbished to be a museum facility. The Port Moody Station Museum was officially opened on July 1st, 1983.
The Station, designed to be a live-in unit, has two floors and a basement. The main floor is currently accessible to the public. Some rooms have been restored to show the living and working conditions in the station between 1908 and 1920. Other rooms have been set up for community and temporary displays. Plans are underway to open the upper level to show one restored bedroom and provide additional room for temporary displays.
The kitchen has been updated to display an early thirties style, featuring a 1927 General Electric refrigerating machine, A General Electric "Hotpoint" electric stove (which was one of the most popular during the proliferation of electric cooking in the 30's), and an early electric washing machine.
The museum's telegraph office features an operational telegraph system, which is available for guests to try, and a hand-operated telephone from 1884 when the Port Moody and New Westminster Telephone Co. was formed.
For more information and for hours of operation, visit their website or call 604.939.1648.
|Port Moody Station Museum - Photo by Jim Millar