During the 2011 civic election, candidates listened carefully to the concerns of Port Moody residents and vowed to make a difference if elected. Mayor Mike Clay and Council have all been working diligently to keep those promises. Aside from the budget process, Council’s major priority has been drafting the Strategic Plan which outlines Council’s vision and goals for their three-year term of office.
In a nutshell, the strategic plan sets out general goals and specific priorities. Each Council report, budget submission, project management template and work plan needs to make reference to the strategic plan. Each course of action needs to be consistent with Council’s Strategic Plan.
The 2012 Council Strategic Plan builds on previous plans to provide continuity in services, programs and direction. In developing the current plan, Council and senior staff discussed issues both within and outside of Council’s control. They noted issues such as:
- taxation levels and value for municipal tax dollars,
- the need for better communications to inform and engage the community,
- opportunities for local economic growth,
- community planning to preserve what we have and plan for the future,
- affordable housing,
- resources necessary for moving ahead effectively and efficiently.
After much reflection, Council agrees that the path to achieving their vision for Port Moody rests on five pillars:
- Communications to Inform and Engage the Community
- Excellence in Service Delivery
- Planning for the Future
- Economic Development
- Nurturing Community
Sustainability is an important element of Council’s Strategic Plan; as an organization we will fully integrate sustainability as a core value and operating principle in everything that we do.
Over the next few months, staff will be working with Council to develop an operational plan for implementing Council’s priorities. We will be launching that plan in the fall.
Read the complete 2012 Council Strategic Plan in detail or browse the 2012 Council Strategic Plan summary
We encourage feedback. Email Council or call 604.469.4501 with your comments, questions or suggestions.
Port Moody's Vision Statement
We are City of the Arts. It is a part of everything we do.
Port Moody, City of the Arts, is a unique, safe, vibrant waterfront city of strong neighbourhoods; a complete community that is sustainable and values its natural environment and heritage character.
- We strive for excellence.
- We are a bridge from community engagement to action.
- We make things happen, guiding change with and for the community.
- We have the courage to embrace new ideas.
- We respect all the principles and objectives of our Community Sustainability Plan.