From May 14 to 25, 2018, the City of Port Moody will provide eligible residents with a coupon for 50 per cent off the purchase of nematodes – tiny worms that live in soil – to help combat Chafer Beetle infestation. The larvae of this invasive insect pest feed on the roots of grasses, causing serious damage to lawns.
Residents can use their coupon to purchase nematodes at Art Knapp Plantland and Florist (1300 Dominion Avenue, Port Coquitlam). When applied correctly, nematodes kill Chafer Beetle grubs without harming plants, people, or pets. The coupons are part of the City’s campaign to help residents rid their lawns of the beetles without the use of cosmetic pesticides. Maintaining a healthy lawn can prevent Chafer Beetle infestation. The City encourages residents to consider planting low-maintenance and drought-resistant lawn alternatives, such as clover or tall fescue.
Nematode coupon program details:
• open to Port Moody residents living in a single-family home;
• limit of one nematode coupon per household on a first-come, first-served basis;
• residents must bring picture ID to prove residency in order to get a nematode coupon;
• the City of Port Moody will grant one temporary exemption from current watering restrictions free of charge for residents applying nematodes (please note permits are only issued under Stage 1 and 2 watering restrictions);
• proof of nematode purchase must be shown at the second floor counter at City Hall (100 Newport Drive) when applying for a lawn watering exemption permit – the application must be made in person and is only valid for 21 days;
• even with this permit, applicants may only water their lawns between 4am and 9am, Monday to Sunday.
Here’s how to pick up your coupon and order your nematodes:
• coupons will be available at the Finance Counter at City Hall (100 Newport Drive) from Monday, May 14 to Friday, May 25, 2018 (please note Finance Counter hours are 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday; closed Monday, May 21, 2018 for Victoria Day);
• call (604.942.7518) or stop by (1300 Dominion Avenue, Port Coquitlam) Art Knapp Plantland and Florist to order your nematodes;
• present your coupon when picking up your package of nematodes (with the coupon, you’ll pay $24.99 plus taxes);
• Art Knapp staff will provide application instructions at time of purchase;
• one package can be used to cover 2,000 square feet, and contains a mix of two or more species from the Heterorhabditis (seekers) and Steinernema (stationary) strains of nematode.
Please visit portmoody.ca/chaferbeetle for more information on the nematode coupon program and how to maintain a healthy lawn.