Licensing Your Dog in Port Moody
The City's Animal Control Bylaw No. 2677 states that all dogs four months and older require a valid licence. Renewal notices are mailed every December, and renewing a standard licence on or before February 1, 2019 gets you a discount. Port Moody dogs are issued a permanent bone-shaped metal tag - new tags are not issued each year.
If you are licensing your spayed or neutered dog for the first time, we require a copy of the veterinarian’s certificate of spaying or neutering with your application form.
There are three easy ways to get your dog licence:
- Mail a cheque along with your completed form to 100 Newport Drive, Port Moody, B.C., V3H 5C3. Please do not mail cash.
- Stop by the second floor of Port Moody City Hall, 100 Newport Drive with your completed form.
- Drop off a cheque and the completed form in the Finance drop box at City Hall. It’s in the breezeway near the rear parking lot, opposite the Port Moody Public Library book drop.
| Before Feb 1 After Feb 1
|Dog under one year old $20.00 $20.00
(first time only)
|Spayed/Neutered $45.00 $50.00
|NEW Seniors’ rate (65+) $30.00 $30.00
for Spayed/Neutered dog
|Unfixed dog $70.00 $78.00
|Aggressive Dog $250.00 $250.00
|Vicious Dog $515.00 $515.00
Are you 65+? Get your discounted dog licence!
The City is now offering $30 dog licences for residents 65 years of age and over. Your dog must be spayed or neutered, and dogs who are deemed aggressive or vicious do not qualify for the reduced fee. Receive your discounted rate by visiting the Licensing Counter on the second floor at City Hall (100 Newport Drive) – just make sure to bring photo I.D.
- Replacement of lost tag: $16
- Kennel licence (for which a person shall be considered having same if said person possesses four or more dogs in lieu of individual fees): $220.00
For more information on dog licensing or animal control in general please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541.
The following Bylaw requirements relate specifically to dogs and cats owned or kept by Port Moody residents.
- All dogs over the age of four months must be licenced.
- All dogs must be leashed when off the property of their owner. There are currently three off-leash areas and one dog run area in Port Moody where dogs can be walked off leash.
- All dog owners and or handlers are required to pick up any and all dog feces deposited by their dog, on any property other than their owner's property.
- Every owner of a cat, apparently or actually over the age of six months old, must ensure that the cat is spayed or neutered.
- Every owner of a cat must ensure that the cat, if it is unspayed or unneutered, is not permitted to run at large within the City.
For more detail on the Cat Control section of the Bylaw please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541.
Lost and found pets
If you have found a dog with a Port Moody dog licence tag, please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541 to allow us to assist in matching the pet with its owner. Alternatively, found animals can be brought to the Coquitlam Animal Shelter, 500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam, just north of Austin, next to the Coquitlam Service Centre and Recycling Drop Off. Their number is 604.933.7387.