Port Moody's Animal Control Bylaw No. 2677 requires that all dogs over the age of 4 months wear a current year's dog licence tag. Purchase dog licences at the following locations:
- Port Moody City Hall, 100 Newport Drive
- After hours by using the Finance drop box at the rear of City Hall
- By mail through Port Moody City Hall,
Port Moody, BC V3H 5C3
For more information on dog licensing or animal control in general please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541.
New, permanent tags: Your new tag will now be a permanent tag. New tags will no longer be issued annually. Renewal notices will be mailed out each year, however the tag itself will remain the same.
To obtain a dog licence, download and print the dog licence application form. Although this form reads as a "renewal" form it can also be used for first time licence applications. Please ensure you enclose the applicable licence fee, either a cheque or money order (please do not send cash), and the licence and tag will be mailed to you. The information you supply will be used to make the renewal of the following year's licence. A renewal reminder card will be sent out at the end of the year to assist you in renewing the dog licence on time. New applicants must provide a veterinarian's certificate as proof of spaying or neutering (not required for renewals).
| Before Feb 1 After Feb 1
|Dog under one year old $21.00 $21.00
(first time only)
|Spayed/Neutered $46.00 $50.00
|Unfixed dog $70.00 $76.00
|Aggressive Dog $245.00 $245.00
|Vicious Dog $505.00 $505.00
The following Bylaw requirements relate specifically to dogs and cats owned or kept by Port Moody residents.
- All dogs over the age of four months must be licenced.
- All dogs must be leashed when off the property of their owner. There are currently three off-leash areas and one dog run area in Port Moody where dogs can be walked off leash.
- All dog owners and or handlers are required to pick up any and all dog feces deposited by their dog, on any property other than their owner's property.
- Every owner of a cat, apparently or actually over the age of six months old, must ensure that the cat is spayed or neutered.
- Every owner of a cat must ensure that the cat, if it is unspayed or unneutered, is not permitted to run at large within the City.
For more detail on the Cat Control section of the Bylaw please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541.
Lost and found pets
If you have found a dog with a Port Moody dog licence tag, please contact the City of Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement staff at 604.469.4697 or 604.469.4541 to allow us to assist in matching the pet with its owner. Alternatively, found animals can be brought to the Coquitlam Animal Shelter, 500 Mariner Way, Coquitlam, just north of Austin, next to the Coquitlam Service Centre and Recycling Drop Off. Their number is 604.933.7387.