Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services

In the kitchen

  • Never leave cooking foods unattended - oil or fat can ignite. If you are faced with a grease fire, carefully slide a lid over the pan and turn off the heat source.
  • Always turn pot handles to the back of the stove when cooking to avoid pots being pulled or knocked off. Never leave hot liquids or food unattended at the edge of a table or counter where they may be pulled down by a child.
  • Avoid wearing loose fitting sleeves when cooking that may contact stove burners and ignite.

Water temperature

  • When running a bath always run the cold water into the tub first, then add hot water to the desired temperature.
  • Before placing a child in the bathtub, test the temperature of the water by moving your hand through the water for several seconds. If the water feels hot add cold water until the temperature feels comfortable.

Matches and lighters

  • Many fatal burns to children are the result of their playing with fire. Teach children that matches and lighters are tools - not toys.
  • Use child-resistant lighters and store all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.

Cool a burn

  • If someone is burned, cool the burned area immediately with cool water for 10 - 15 minutes.
  • Never put ice, very cold water, butter or lotions on a burn. If the burn blisters or chars, seek medical help immediately.

Stop, drop and roll

  • If your clothes catch on fire - stop immediately, drop to the floor, cover your face with your hands and roll over and over to extinguish the flames.
  • Purchase and install working smoke alarms and practice home escape plans. Remember to change your smoke alarm batteries at the same time you change your clocks (spring/fall).

In case of an emergency, dial 9-1-1.

Last updated: 28/09/2011 8:35:12 PM