Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services

Quick facts on carbon monoxide

What is it?  A colourless, odorless, tasteless gas. 
Signs Stuffy air, excessive moisture on windows and soot around appliances and vents.            
Symptoms          Dizziness, headaches, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and loss of muscle control.  Can be confused with influenza.
 Effects If inhaled, carbon monoxide takes away oxygen from the blood.  Prolonged exposure can lead to unconsciousness, brain damage or death.
Causes Blocked or dirty vents, flues, chimneys and furnaces, as well as improper ventilation of burning fireplaces and wood stoves.
Prevention Annual inspection and cleaning of furnaces, chimneys, fireplaces and dryers

 

Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home

Safety tips to protect your family from carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Every year have a qualified service technician check the furnace and other fuel-burning equipment for safety and efficiency.
  • Make sure a wood or coal burning stove is properly installed and vented and has adequate combustion air - e.g. open window.
  • Do not operate a gasoline-powered engine, kerosene stove or charcoal grill in a closed space.
  • Clean and inspect your chimneys regularly.
  • Barbeque grills should never be operated indoors.
  • Do not leave a vehicle motor running in the garage - even with the garage doors open.
  • Do not run exhaust fans, power attic vents or central vacuum systems continuously.

If you suspect carbon monoxide in your home, leave right away and call the fire department.

Last updated: 28/09/2011 8:31:12 PM