- Cut base of Christmas tree at a 45-degree angle. Place in a bucket of water until ready to decorate. Once in stand check water level daily. Remove tree if it shows signs of being dry - needles falling off.
- Carefully inspect light strings, cords, plugs and receptacles. Check for worn or frayed insulation and loose connections. Dispose of damaged or worn items. Use only lights which have been laboratory tested. Check for Canadian Standards Association (CSA) label.
- Do not overload electrical circuits or extension cords. Read and follow instructions on cord labels for connecting light strings to extension cords.
- Always turn off Christmas lights before leaving home or going to bed. Never leave Christmas lights on when no one is home.
- If you have small children or pets secure upper portion of tree to wall or window frame with guy wires.
- Keep your Christmas tree (natural or artificial), decorations and presents away from heat sources such as fireplaces, candles, heaters, lamps and wood burning space heaters or stoves. On Christmas morning, when living rooms can become cluttered with a sea of wrapping paper and materials, be especially mindful of the fact that this material is highly flammable. Use extreme caution when your family unwraps gifts.
- Never leave candles unattended. This is particularly true when small children are around.
- Always be certain that smoking materials are extinguished completely and disposed of properly.
- If removing fireplace ash, use a metal container and store away from any building until cold.
Last updated: 28/09/2011 8:47:47 PM