Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services

These are the questions you should ask if you are considering your current and future plans for your property. 

1. What is the Zoning and Official Community Plan (OCP) land-use designation for the property?

Zoning Bylaw No.2937 provides the current regulations on the use, density and building dimensions permitted on your property. The OCP designation provides future direction on how properties could be rezoned and developed subject to the support of Council. Contact our Planning Division.

2. Is the property near a water body such as a creek or the ocean?

There are City, Provincial or Federal regulations on setbacks and elevations to, and disturbance of, water bodies. Contact our Planning Division or Environmental Services Division.

3. Is the property located on a steep slope or in a floodplain?

You may be required to undertake a geotechnical or hydrological assessment before constructing an addition or building a new structure. Contact our Planning Division or Building Division.

4. Is the property the subject of any Bylaw Enforcement actions? 

Contact our Bylaws and Licencing Division.

5. Do you wish to operate a home-based business?

Contact our Bylaws and Licencing Division.

6. Do you plan to remove trees over 10 cm (4 inches) in diameter?

Please refer to Tree Removal Bylaw No. 2425 which protects trees over 10 cm (4 inches) under certain circumstances. Contact our Planning Division.

7. Is the property connected to municipal services such as sanitary sewer, storm sewer and community water?

Contact our Engineering Division or Building Division.

8. Is the property serviced by BC Gas, Telus, Shaw Cablevision?

Contact each relevant agency.

9. Is the property identified within the City of Port Moody Heritage Register or the Moody Centre Heritage Conservative arm?

Contact our Planning Division.

10. Have you checked the Land Title Certificate for registered easements, rights-of-way, covenants, building schemes, notices of permits, etc. which may affect the property?

Contact the Land Title Office, a title search company or your solicitor.

11. Is a Building Permit required to renovate, alter an existing building or change the use of an existing commercial building?

Contact our Building Division.

12. Are there any Fire Code requirements, necessary permits or outstanding orders?

Contact the Fire Prevention Officer at 604.469.4529.

13. Are there any health requirements, necessary permits or outstanding orders?

Contact the Fraser Health Authority.

14. Do you wish to start, buy or expand an existing business which requires a Business Licence?

Contact our Bylaws and Licencing Division.

15. Do wish to install a sign which requires approval under Sign Bylaw No. 2403?

Contact our Bylaws and Licencing Division.

16. What on-site and off-site improvements will be required to roads, sidewalks, street lighting, street trees and landscaping?

Contact our Engineering Division and Planning Division.

17. Will you require a Rezoning, Development Permit or Development Variance Permit?

Contact our Planning Division.

18. What architectural and landscape design issues should be addressed?

Contact our Planning Division.

19. What fees, securities and development cost charges and development levies must be paid?

Contact our Planning Division.

Last updated: 31/08/2018 3:36:42 PM