In response to community concerns about “large homes” and changing neighbourhood character, the City is exploring changes to the RS1 (One-Family Residential) zoning in Glenayre. Potential zoning revisions include reducing the permitted height, coverage and floor area of new homes, restricting front yard fences, and increasing side yard setbacks and landscaping requirements.
Special Council (Committee of the Whole) meeting – November 29, 2017
A Special Council (Committee of the Whole) meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 29th at 7pm in the Glenayre Community Centre to present a summary of the feedback received on potential changes to the RS1 zoning for Glenayre and to discuss potential future zoning amendments. Read the agenda package and consultation summary.
Timeline and Resources
- September 25, 2017 – An Open House was held at the Glenayre Community Centre to discuss potential changed to the RS1 zone to address community concerns. View the presentation and display boards
- April 7, 2016 – Planning Staff met with members of the Glenayre Community Association to discuss concerns with “large homes” and potential zoning changes.
- May 5, 2016 – Workshop with Council, outlining the results of the Community Association meetings and potential next steps.
- June 15, 2016 – Blueprint Zoning Bylaw Review Open House – display board 8 covers the proposal for changes to RS1 in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- June 2016 – The City releases Blueprint Newsletter 3 which also introduced proposed changes to RS1 in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- January 17, 2017 – Presentation to Special Council - Committee of the Whole (Item 6.7, pages 173-178) – Council postponed changes to RS1 until staff brought forward a revised proposal for Narrow Lot Subdivision.
- May 2, 2017 – Presentation to Community Planning Advisory Committee – proposed changes to RS1, including changes to RS1 to discourage "monster homes" in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- May 9, 2017 - Planning staff presented a variety of recommendations to alleviate concerns around large homes in many of Port Moody's RS1 (One-Family Residential) zoned neighbourhoods to Council. (Item 9.3 Agenda, Presentation, Minutes, and Video. Item 9.3 is where Council endorsed a resolution to move forward with these RS1 zoning changes for the Glenayre neighbourhood).
- June 13, 2017 - Council directed staff to hold a public engagement event in Glenayre to consult about potential RS1 zoning changes to prevent “large homes”. (Item 9.8 Agenda, Minutes and Video)
- July 11, 2017 - Council endorsed the Consultation Plan. (Item 5.5 Agenda, Minutes, and Video).
- September 25, 2017 - Planning staff hold a community open house at Glenayre Community Centre (Presentation, Display Boards).