Public Hearing on Proposed New Zoning Bylaw No. 2937 – July 10, 2018
In response to community concerns about “large homes” and changing neighbourhood character, the City explored changes to the zoning bylaw which affect all RS1 zoned properties city-wide, including the Glenayre neighbourhood. These changes are included in the proposed new Zoning Bylaw No. 2937 and include changes to the way floor area ratio is calculated to include items that contribute to building massing (e.g. bathrooms, storage rooms, hallways); new fence height requirements; and new landscaping requirements.
A Public Hearing on the proposed new Zoning Bylaw No. 2937 is being held on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 7pm in Council Chambers at City Hall.
View the proposed new Zoning Bylaw No. 2937
Timeline and Resources
- June 26, 2018 – Presentation of Proposed New Zoning Bylaw No. 2937
- May 12, 2018 – As a result of mixed community feedback from the Glenayre Open House on September 25, 2017, Glenayre-specific zoning changes were not made following the consultation. Instead, several related changes have been included as part of the proposed new Zoning Bylaw No. 2937, including floor area ratio, landscaping and fencing. These proposed changes will affect all RS1 zoned properties city-wide, including the Glenayre neighbourhood. The changes were presented at an Open House on the proposed draft Zoning Bylaw on May 12, 2018. View the display boards and the survey results here.
- April 10, 2018 - Proposed City-wide zoning changes are included in the updated draft Zoning Bylaw presented to Council. Find a report summarizing the latest updates and a copy of the updated draft bylaw here (Item 9.3).
- February 20, 2018 – At the Special Council (Committee of the Whole) meeting on February 20, 2018 Council reviewed the working draft of the updated Zoning Bylaw and provided feedback, including potential changes affecting all RS1 zoned properties city-wide, including the Glenayre neighbourhood. Find the related staff report here (Item 6.1).
- January 23, 2018 - At the Regular Council Meeting on January 23, 2018 staff provided follow up on the Council resolution passed at the November 29, 2017 Special Council (Committee of the Whole) meeting regarding the Glenayre neighbourhood RS1 zoning consultation. Find the related staff report here (Item 9.7).
- November 29, 2017 – A Special Council (Committee of the Whole) meeting was held at the Glenayre Community Centre to present a summary of the feedback received on potential zoning changes to the RS1 zoning for Glenayre and to discuss potential future zoning amendments. Read the agenda package and consultation summary.
- September 25, 2017 – An Open House was held at the Glenayre Community Centre to discuss potential changed to the RS1 zone to address community concerns. View the presentation and display boards
- April 7, 2016 – Planning Staff met with members of the Glenayre Community Association to discuss concerns with “large homes” and potential zoning changes.
- May 5, 2016 – Workshop with Council, outlining the results of the Community Association meetings and potential next steps.
- June 15, 2016 – Blueprint Zoning Bylaw Review Open House – display board 8 covers the proposal for changes to RS1 in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- June 2016 – The City releases Blueprint Newsletter 3 which also introduced proposed changes to RS1 in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- January 17, 2017 – Presentation to Special Council - Committee of the Whole (Item 6.7, pages 173-178) – Council postponed changes to RS1 until staff brought forward a revised proposal for Narrow Lot Subdivision.
- May 2, 2017 – Presentation to Community Planning Advisory Committee – proposed changes to RS1, including changes to RS1 to discourage "monster homes" in Glenayre and other neighbourhoods.
- May 9, 2017 - Planning staff presented a variety of recommendations to alleviate concerns around large homes in many of Port Moody's RS1 (One-Family Residential) zoned neighbourhoods to Council. (Item 9.3 Agenda, Presentation, Minutes, and Video. Item 9.3 is where Council endorsed a resolution to move forward with these RS1 zoning changes for the Glenayre neighbourhood).
- June 13, 2017 - Council directed staff to hold a public engagement event in Glenayre to consult about potential RS1 zoning changes to prevent “large homes”. (Item 9.8 Agenda, Minutes and Video)
- July 11, 2017 - Council endorsed the Consultation Plan. (Item 5.5 Agenda, Minutes, and Video).
- September 25, 2017 - Planning staff hold a community open house at Glenayre Community Centre (Presentation, Display Boards).