The goal of the City’s Artist Grant Program is to provide small grants to help Port Moody artists complete art-related projects, or to assist event organizers in realizing small events. Grants are intended to provide one-time funding rather than annual funding, and are not available to individuals or groups receiving other funds or fee waivers from the City. Applicants may apply for up to $1,000; the award may be less than the amount requested.
Examples of eligible art-related projects or events include:
- a small community event that needs assistance with paying for liability insurance, advertising, and/or performers;
- a Port Moody artist who wishes to take part in an exhibition;
- a band that wants to rent some equipment for a performance; or
- an artist or group that needs assistance with covering the cost of a facility rental.
If you are seeking annual financial assistance and/or in-kind support to host a festival or event in Port Moody, please visit the City’s Festival and Special Event Assistance Program webpage.
How to apply
This grant program is open to:
- individual artists (or artist collectives) living in Port Moody; and
- individuals/groups wishing to host an event/activity for the benefit of Port Moody residents.
Eligible project expenses include:
- artist fees;
- artist supplies;
- event supplies;
- event programming;
- exhibition fees; and
The Artist Grant Program is not intended to provide operating funding or ongoing/annual funding, and cannot be used to pay for an organizer’s time or an organizer’s staff time.
This program is NOT open to:
- organizations or individuals currently receiving other forms of financial assistance from the City of Port Moody, including fee waivers;
- larger, established events; or
- projects and events that do not have an arts focus.
An event or project is eligible for funding through the Artist Grant Program no more than once every three years.
How to apply
If you wish to apply for funds through the Artist Grant Program, please submit the following information in a written document to Devin Jain, Manager of Cultural Services (via email to email@example.com or drop off in person at City Hall):
• contact information (name, address, phone number, email);
• artist resume or summary of related experience;
• two examples of work or previous projects;
• two references (name, email, phone number, and how they know you);
• project description (maximum two paragraphs);
• brief description of the benefit to the community, or opportunity afforded to the artist (maximum one paragraph); and
• budget for your project or event.
Applications are reviewed twice per year. Please ensure you submit your application by the appropriate deadline:
• submit by Friday, April 27, 2018 – grant(s) awarded in May 2018
• submit by Monday, August 27, 2018 – grant(s) awarded in September 2018
If you are awarded a grant, you must submit a brief final report, including copies of receipts for eligible expenses, within 30 days of the completion of the event/project.
The Arts and Culture Committee reviews applications and determines awards based on the following criteria:
• artistic merit of the project or event;
• resulting benefit to the community, or opportunity afforded to the artist;
• confidence in the applicant’s ability to complete the project; and
• other sources of financial assistance available to the applicant.
If you have questions about the Artist Grant Program, please contact Devin Jain, Manager of Cultural Services, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (604-469-4689).