This posting is now closed. Thank you to everyone that applied. The next posting will be in mid 2017.
Artist Caretaker in Residence Program
The City of Port Moody is pleased to launch this new program that combines an artist in residence with a resident parks caretaker. This unique opportunity provides an artist with a rent-free one bedroom apartment in beautiful Rocky Point Park in exchange for artistic and caretaker services. Please note that this apartment is on the second floor and only accessible by stairs.
Port Moody’s Artist Caretaker in Residence Program has been created with the following objectives:
- To integrate an artist into the daily activities at Rocky Point Park through a combination of demonstrations, displays and workshops, and by providing an activity during Culture Days
- To provide an artist with a live/work space in exchange for the artist providing the services of a resident parks caretaker and for providing artistic community engagement projects
- To provide some financial freedom for an artist to focus on his/her creative practice
- To search for partnership opportunities in the community to maximize the program’s reach and profile
This program is open to all artists legally able to work and live in Canada for the entire duration of the residency and capable of performing all of the duties expected of the resident caretaker. This program is open to artists working in any disciplines that suit the studio/residence space, for example: visual artists, writers, composers, choreographers, animators, musicians and poets.
Interested artists are required to submit an application made up of the following:
- Current CV (including name, phone number, address and email address)
- Two professional letters of recommendation
- An artist statement outlining their interest in the program and how this opportunity fits with their current artistic direction (one page maximum)
- A proposal for community engagement initiatives and participation during Culture Days (four pages maximum), including draft budgets require to deliver these initiative
- Examples of current and past work/projects (minimum of three projects) at least one of which is from 2014/2015.
Application deadline is: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 5pm.
An open house is being held on Wednesday, March 9 from 4-7pm at the artist caretaker in residence suite (2800 block Murray Street). If you plan on attending please RSVP to Devin Jain at 604.469.4689.
Pilot Program Residency Term begins on Wednesday, June 1, 2016 (flexible) and ends on October 31, 2017.
For complete information on the Artist Caretaker in Residence Program and the application process, check out the Additional Resources on the right hand side.
For more information contact Devin Jain, Cultural Services Manager at 604.469.4689.