- Bears are very intelligent, are extremely curious and have good long-term memory.
- Black Bears are long-lived animals with an average life span of about 18 years.
- Black bears come in a number of colors, including black, brown, cinnamon and blond.
- Bears can see just as well as humans and can also see relatively well at night.
- Bears have a well-developed sense of hearing.
- Bears have an extraordinary sense of smell, 100 times that of a human, and can detect odours over a mile away.
- Bears can run up to 50 km per hour, and can also run extremely well downhill or uphill.
- Bears are very strong swimmers.
- Black bears prefer forested areas with low-growing plants and berry-producing shrubs.
- Caloric intake for a bear preparing for denning/per day is greater than 20,000 calories, and black bear feeding can occur for up to 20 hours per day.
- Black Bears are the most widely distributed bear species in North America and it is estimated that there are about 1,000,000 black bears across the continent.
Last updated: 15/02/2016 1:07:29 PM