Skip to page body Home City Government Services Parks & Recreation Arts & Culture Discover Port Moody Business Online Services
Untitled Document

Applying proper prevention, control and removal techniques is essential to help stop the spread of invasive plants.

Provincial legislation requires that land owners and occupiers must manage and control invasive plants that have been classified under the BC Weed Control Act as Noxious Weeds

CAUTION: Particular care needs to be taken when removing Giant Hogweed and Japanese Knotweed.

Giant Hogweed


Giant Hogweed sap (in stem and hairs) can cause skin inflammation and blistering, and temporary or permanent blindness. Contact with sap can occur by brushing against any broken plant parts, handling plant material, or even by touching equipment that was used in infested areas. Effects may not occur for many hours after exposure. Scars from the blisters can last for up to six years. If you find Giant Hogweed on your property, the City recommends that you contact a professional to remove this plant. Contact a private gardening service or the Invasive Species Council of Metro Vancouver for assistance in finding the right professional.

Anyone who has contact with sap from Giant Hogweed should:

  • Wash the affected area immediately, with mild soap and cool water,
  • Keep exposed skin out of the sunlight as the toxicity increase with light, and
  • Seek immediate medical attention if blistering occurs.

The BC Drug and Poison information Centre can also be called for more health advice at 604-682-5050 in the Lower Mainland Area.

Japanese Knotweed


Knotweed is a challenging invasive plant that is very difficult to remove. The roots are strong and tenacious, and can grow through cracks in cement and asphalt and break road surfaces, house foundations, and other concrete structures. Roots can grow more than 5 m deep and 10 m wide. Digging or pulling stresses the plant and encourages growth. Mowing or flailing simply spreads the plant fragments. Japanese Knotweed is able to re-sprout from very small plant cuttings and root fragments

The City recommends hiring a certified professional pesticide applicator who is experienced with knotweed control to treat knotweed on private property. The City’s Pesticide Use Control Bylaw allows use of pesticide to control and eradicate this Noxious Weed.

If knotweed is disturbed any plant fragments or debris, however small, should be collected in an unlined paper bag to minimize spread during transport, and put in the Green Bin for municipal collection. Do NOT compost this material in your backyard composter.

Last updated: 27/06/2017 3:40:02 PM