In the last year, many Port Moody residents have been frustrated living with Chafer
beetle infested lawns. Chafer beetle is an insect pest whose larvae feed on the roots of
grasses causing serious damage to lawns. If Chafer beetles are bugging you, your best
defence is to keep your lawn healthy all year round.
We recognize that many residents who bought nematodes last year were not able to use them due to Metro Vancouver’s water restrictions. While the City has to comply with regional directives, we understand how this impacted residents. This summer, the City is again offering relief to residents who are dealing with these pesky bugs. Relief will include a nematode coupon program, and water sprinkling exemptions for those who purchase nematodes. And there’s some good news - Metro Vancouver is allowing water sprinkling exemptions this year to assist residents with Chafer control!
If crows and raccoons have already turned your lawn upside down, there’s a good change that you already have a Chafer beetle infestation. In this case, the experts recommend that you consider applying a nematode treatment in the summer. Nematodes are tiny worms that live in the soil, and can kill Chafer beetle larvae without harming plants, people or pets.Keep in mind that nematodes are live organisms so they need to be applied correctly.
This includes proper refrigeration before and after purchase, application, and follow up to ensure they stay alive to do their job.
Water sprinkling exemption permits:
- The City of Port Moody will grant one (1) temporary exemption from current watering restrictions free of charge for residents applying nematodes.
- To qualify, the applicant must show proof of nematode purchase at the second floor counter at City Hall, 100 Newport Dr. Applications can only be made in person
- The application is only valid for 21 days.
- Even with this permit, applicants may only sprinkle between 4am and 9am, Monday to Sunday.
- Download the lawn sprinkling permit form
Information on Nematode coupons
Lawn sprinkling regulations
Beetle Mania - How to check your lawn for Chafer beetle grubs
Chafer beetles are an insect pest. Its larvae feed on the roots of grasses, which causes
damage to lawns. In this video, you'll learn how to check your lawn for Chafer grubs.
How to maintain a healthy lawn
Beetle Mania - How apply a Nematode treatment
Next: Dealing with Chafer Beetle