When: Saturday, September 27, 2014
Where: Parking lot behind Port Moody City Hall, 100 Newport Drive
Time: 11am to 3pm
Admission: Free, with complimentary refreshments
Ambulance Paramedics of British Columbia
Metro Vancouver Transit Police
Port Moody Fire Rescue
Port Moody Police
Port Moody Victim Services
St. Johns Ambulance
We will gratefully accept donations to the Share foodbank!
Download the Safety Fair poster here!
Quick safety tips for kids
- Make sure kids make eye contact with drivers before stepping onto the roadway to cross the street. Confirm with a hand wave and wait for vehicles to come to a complete stop improves safety.
- Ensure your kids have brighter colours or reflective strips on their clothing for darker days. Bright coloured umbrellas work well to improve visibility when it gets wet and visibility is limited.
- Encourage kids to stay on the inside edge of the sidewalk, farthest away from traffic. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic so that oncoming cars are visible.
- Ensure kids do not listen to music while walking. It is distracting. It’s amazing how much hearing can help detect traffic patterns.
- If your children catch a bus to school ensure they arrive early to the bus stop. Running to bus stops can limit your child’s time to make decisions when approaching traffic.
- Do you walk to school with your kids everyday and want to help other kids get exercise and be safe? Start a Walking School Bus, to learn how go to travelsmart.ca and search “walking school bus”.
In partnership with ICBC, a family-friendly event with something for all ages!
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, @CityofPoMo #PoMoSafe
Last updated: 25/09/2014 10:32:24 AM