Port Moody’s Adopt a Street program is a cooperative effort between community volunteers and the City to help maintain litter-free public sidewalks, bike paths and walkways. The City welcomes residents and organizations like schools, churches, local non-profits and businesses to participate in the program.
Applicants make a once-a-month commitment for one year (or more often if they desire). We provide the gear, arrange for the removal and disposal of waste and put up signs recognizing the participants.
Adopt-a-Street encourages local volunteers to show their PoMo Pride and take ownership of our local public spaces by removing litter. Training, support and supplies are provided.
Watch our Adopt a Street Launch:
Sign up on your own, with friends or family, or with a group!
Download the Adopt a Street Manual (Word) (PDF)
How to Sign Up
All volunteers – including individuals, families, groups, businesses, schools and clubs – must successfully complete the following application process:
Download the application forms for:
- Adopt a Street Application - Individual adult participant (Word) (PDF)
- Adopt a Street Application - Individual youth participant (Word) (PDF)
- Adopt a Street Application - Organization or Society (Word) (PDF)
Once you've downloaded, and filled out a form, you can email it or drop it off at either City Hall, 100 Newport Drive (8:30am-5pm Mon-Fri), or at our works yard at 3250 Murray Street, (7:30am-3:30pm Mon-Fri).
Volunteers should enjoy the outdoors and must be:
- Physically able to perform the required tasks,
- Reliable and safety conscious,
- Able to work independently and in groups, and
- Accompanied by an adult if under age 19.
- Adopt a street for at least one year.
- Designate a contact person, who will: serve as the liaison with the City, fill out an activity log after each visit, and complete forms as needed (e.g. reporting graffiti and vandalism, dumping activity, suspicious events and injuries).
- Visit your spot at minimum once per month (more if you so choose), keeping it clear of litter. Leave collected litter at the curb for collection by city crews and call the Program Coordinator for pickup).
- Report all hazards to the City, e.g. erosion, sinkholes, missing or damaged signs, dangerous or fallen trees, or damaged bridges and benches.
City Support and Training
The City will:
- Assist volunteers with choosing a spot to adopt.
- Supply gloves, litter pickers, garbage bags, vests
- Remove collected litter from the sites.
- Provide volunteers with an orientation and training in litter pickup.
Here are some of the reasons to sign up as an Adopt-a-Street:
- Enjoy living in a cleaner, safer and more beautiful community.
- Have a positive impact on the environment.
- Gain a sense of satisfaction from giving back to your community.
- Get some exercise.
- Enjoy Port Moody’s outdoor spaces.
- Obtain hours towards the student volunteer requirement.
Adopt-a-Street volunteers will be recognized with a sign at each end of their spot for at least one year. The City will also recognize these volunteers as part of the National Volunteer Week celebrations that take place each April.
Interested in keeping our community vibrant? Start the application process by emailing our Adopt a Street Coordinator or calling 604.469.4570.